Want to know how to strip wallpaper fast? Using a steamer is your best bet. But what’s the best wallpaper steamer for professionals as well as DIY use?
- CHEMICAL FREE CLEANING: The SteamMachine uses pressurized, 290°F high-temperature steam to loosen and dissolve dirt,...
- HOMERIGHT STEAM CLEANER: Use this floor steam cleaner to clean your hard floor surfaces such as tile, vinyl and linoleum...
- STEAM CLEANER FOR HOME USE: Accomplish all of your household cleaning projects such as cleaning countertops, floors,...
- 17 ACCESSORIES: Use the included brushes, nozzles and attachments to easily lift away stains and messes
Last update on 2020-06-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
NOTE: You now have to buy the wall paper attachment separately with this steam cleaner. You can find this here:
- WOOD BENDING STEAMER: The Earlex Steam Generator is the perfect tool to help you on your wood bending projects
- LONG RUN TIME: The 1.3 gallon tank will provide steam for up to 2 hours in enough volume for a small to medium size...
- PERFECT FOR ANY WORKSHOP: The small electric steamer uses a 1500 watt element to rapidly generate steam within your...
- SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS: Includes instructions on how to build a steam box, and a steam box connector kit so you can be...
Last update on 2020-06-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
I am a cleaning professional and I’ve used steamers of all types. Removing wallpaper on a large scale isn’t my kind of work. But I’ve done it before using a handheld steamer. But for this list, I collaborated with two wallpaper removal experts to recommend the top wallpaper steamers they’ve used . Let’s dive right into the reviews.
Top 5 Wallpaper Steamers
|#1||HomeRight C800880||Read review|
|#2||Earlex SS77USSG Steam Generator||Read review|
|#3||Wagner Spraytech 0282014 915||Read review|
|#4||Wagner Spraytech 0282018||Read review|
|#5||Earlex LMB150NA SteamMaster Wallpaper Steamer||Read review|
In this guide, we’ve reviewed over 11 products. We selected 5 that scored highly against quality and efficiency criteria. Here’s our list of top rated wallpaper steam machines.
1. HomeRight C800880 Steam Wallpaper Remover
- Wallpaper removal and 6 home cleaning attachments.
- 8-Feet hose included.
- Long steaming sessions – 45 minutes.
- In-built accessory storage mechanism.
- Over 400 customer reviews on Amazon.
The HomeRight C800880 steamer is one of the overall best machines for professional wallpaper removal. And there are great reasons for that.
The design is fairly minimal, but the machine does not lack in ability. You can use it to clean your house as well as remove old wallpaper from walls and ceilings.
You get a total of
6 5 attachments. They include the following: Wallpaper steaming plate
- Jet nozzle
- Nylon brush
- Brass brush
- Floor steam mop
Get the wallpaper attachment here:
What I found more interesting is that the steam mop comes attached with a microfiber cloth. It does a great job wiping the floor clean after the hot steam sanitizes it.
Warranty and Price
Most functional steam cleaners cost under $100, but the HomeRight C800880 Steam Machine Steamer costs slightly above that. Most likely it is because of the flat attachment that adds functionality to the steamer. You’re not likely going to use a normal household steam mop to remove wallpaper.
This steam cleaner earns more points courtesy of the warranty period. You get 2 years warranty. This is a great point of confidence from the manufacturer. It actually vindicates the price point a little bit.
Most user reviews are positive and rate the wallpaper remove highly. The bendy hose is a great addition for most users. Another positive point most users found is the number of accessories and attachments it comes with. They all make it possible to use this steam machine for all-round household cleaning.
Some users noted that when using the smaller attachments, the machine is noisy. This is generally due to the small nozzle working under the high pressured steam.
The handle is also a little bit uncomfortable for people with small hands. Scrubbing for long can make your hand feel tired.
2. Earlex SS77USSG Steam Generator
- Massive 1.3 gallon tank capacity
- 12 foot hose
- Offers over 2 hours of steaming with every fill
- Great bargain for the price
- Comes with a steam box adaptor
The Earlex SS77 USSG is one of the top rated wallpaper steamer for professionals. That’s according to the professional painters and woodworkers I consulted for this review.
It is a powerful tool for bending wood and removing wallpaper. If you’re working on a thick wallpaper installation, this is the right tool for you. I would also recommend if for people who want to start a wallpaper steamer rental business.
It packs a powerful punch in functionality and usability. The 12-foot hose makes it easy to steam wallpaper on large surfaces. With that amount of steam over a long period, you’d imagine the hose heats up. No it doesn’t. It remains cool as one of the many safety features built into its system.
Attachments and Accessories
With this, you get a steam box adapter, a steam pad, a 1500 watt element, and 1.3 gallon tank.
That’s all you get. There aren’t any household cleaning attachments that come with this unit. It means it is one one the best steamers for professional wallpaper removers.
With the Earlex SS77USSG Steam Generator, you get a 2-year limited warranty. This is great considering the price is much lower than what most people would expect here.
- Over 2 hours of steaming. You can strip wallpaper on large surfaces for long.
- Plenty of safety features in the design.
- A water level indicator makes it easy to know when to refill.
- Very effective at steaming through heavy wallpaper installations.
- Takes a long time to steam up (23 minutes).
- A little too heavy to move around due to the tank capacity.
Most users are quite satisfied with this wallpaper steamer. It is, however, important to note that most of the buyers for this one are professionals.
Anyone buying this for a single use may not find it very useful because it has only two functions: stripping wallpaper and wood-bending.
I only recommend this one for anyone who is in the woodworking industry. If want to do DIY wallpaper stripping in your apartment, buy a steam cleaner with a steam pad attachment.
3. Wagner Spraytech 0282014 915 On-Demand Steam Cleaner
- A steam cleaner with a wallpaper removal attachment.
- 45 minutes of steaming sessions.
- 8 attachments for different cleaning and steaming purposes.
- 1 year warranty.
Attachments and Accessories
Being a steaming machine, you can use it for different purposes. It is for both professional painters and DIY home cleaning jobs. You get the following attachments with the Wagner Spraytech 915 steamer:
- Window Squeegee
- Utility Brushes
- Two Extension Tubes
- Brush And Cloth
- Measuring Cup
- Fill Funnel
Most people are satisfied with what this wallpaper steam remover can do. It is durable and works effectively.
Particularly, buyers seem to be impressed with the attachments and the ergonomic design. There aren’t any leaks, which makes it safe for use even with the high pressure of steam.
- Takes 5 minutes to heat up.
- Gives multipurpose functions.
- The steam plate has a large surface.
- The hose can be extended.
- Powerful 1500 watt steamer is efficient.
- Quite pricey compared to other steamers on the market.
- The power cord is short.
- For some units, the handle heats up when using.
4. Wagner Spraytech 0282018 1-Gallon Wallpaper Steamer
- Lightweight design.
- Large 8 x 11 inch steam plate.
- 11-foot hose.
- Best for professional wallpaper removal.
The Wagner Spraytech 705 is a highly-rated steaming machine ready for professionals. With it, you get 1500 watts of steam power. That’s a powerful machine for heavy duty or multi-layered wallpaper removal.
The lightweight design and high power makes it possible to work on big projects with ease. You can remove vinyl and multiple layers of wallpaper even if it’s been painted over.
Unlike most steamers, this particular one uses regular tap water. You do not need to distill water first. This kind of makes things cost-effective if you choose this as your best removal steamer.
- Peels away wallpaper with minimal scraping.
- Great buy for professional use.
- The cost is friendly for its power.
- Does not offer value other than removing wallpapers.
- Long heating time.
One reviewer on Amazon noted that the Wagner Spraytech 705 was more effective where a clothes steamer failed. It removed 3 layers of wallpaper with ease.
Another one noted that removing tough vinyl stripes was a much easier job with this tool. It is very effective and makes work easier.
In general, it is effective and has 5-star ratings. It does the job it is meant to do.
5. Earlex LMB150NA SteamMaster Wallpaper Steamer
- Has a platform to help reach higher areas.
- Uses regular tap water.
- Longest hose – 16 feet.
- Onboard accessory storage.
- A bit pricey.
This is an the prefered option for a professional painter or if you are doing a large renovation. While expensive vs the other products, this is Earlex steamer is quite a special machine given its ability to produce powerful steam for over 2 hours. The tank capacity alone (2 gallon) will provide plenty of steam for removing wallpaper on large areas.
Even though the steamer is heavy at 22 pounds, you can still push to move it around with ease.
It is also well designed with in-built storage spaces for the steam plate and the rather long hose.
The one thing professionals love about the Earlex SteamMaster is the long cool to touch hose. You can move for quite a long distance without having to move the whole unit.
- It generates a lot of steam.
- Long hose makes it easy to steam large paper areas.
- The platform included making it easy to remove wallpaper on ceilings and high windows.
- It takes a long time to heat the water.
- Quite pricey and not suitable for DIY wallpaper removal.
- It is the heaviest of all the wallpaper steamers on this list.
- The steam pad doesn’t distrubute steam so well.
Wallpaper steamers work by injecting steam into the paper. The heat from the water vapor breaks down and loosens the adhesive glue holding the paper in place. At this point, you’ll be able to scrape the paper off the wall or ceiling.
If you’re trying to do this for the first time, you might want to check our guide on how to steam wallpaper off the wall here. For this task, you may need some additional tools.
Get a Scraping Tool
Heavy steaming can loosen wallpaper and make it start to peel off by itself. However, you’ll need a tool for scraping it off the wall for the best results. Or if you are dealing with a thin paper and heavy glue.
Although you can use a putty knife to remove the remnants of paper and glue, a professional tool is the best.