When you want to clean fast and get the best results, your go-to solution is a steam cleaner. These little machines have made our work easier.
Sometimes, we want more than just cleaning. We want to disinfect floors and add a smell of freshness. So, can you put a floor cleaner in your steam mop? Can you put anything else such as disinfectant in a steam cleaner?
Can I Put Floor Cleaner in My Steam Mop?
You should NOT put any floor cleaning solution in your steam mop. Manufacturers of steam cleaning machines recommend using demineralized water only. Steam at high temperatures is capable of killing germs, breaking down stains and dirt. Putting chemicals in your steam mop can cause corrosion and void its warranty.
That means that cleaning using steam is as good as using common floor cleaning solutions. From my experience, it gives even better results. Not to mention the benefits that come with this method of cleaning.
Benefits of Steam Cleaning with Distilled Water Only
If you read your steam mop’s manual, you’ll realize that it’s meant to be used with distilled water only. The water is heated into vapor. Hot vapor is then dispensed onto the floor at high pressure. This effect breaks down dirt, grime, and stains. You can even get a water distiller if you use your steam cleaner a lot.
The microfiber pad on most portable steam cleaners and mops wipes away the loosened dirt. This leaves your floor clean, disinfected, and dry. That’s why steam mops, compared to traditional mops, are better.
But there’s much more to using only distilled water and a steam mop machine. Here are some of the benefits of using a steam mop and trashing your regular floor cleaner:
- It is cheap to clean your house with steam. No need to buy floor mopping solution.
- Steam cleaning is chemical-free. It is safe for households with kids and pets.
- Steam deodorizes the house. You can use it to get rid of cigarette smells and other odors from your carpet.
- Steam at 212 °F kills germs and bacteria, leaving your floors sanitized.
- Using a steam cleaner, you’ll be able to kill fleas and get rid of bedbugs naturally.
Everyone has a staple when it comes to cleaning their floors. Some people swear by Bona floor cleaning solutions. Others stick to the good ol’ Pine Sol.
So, here’s what you need to know about using these solutions with your steam mop.
Can You Put Pine Sol in Steam Mop?
You should not put Pine Sol in your steam mop. It contains benzoic acid, sodium salts and sulfonic acids. These ingredients can corrode parts of your steam mop and void your warranty.
Can You Put Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner in Steam Mop?
Among other ingredients, Bona floor cleaner contains citric acid and hydrogen peroxide. Acids are known to be very corrosive. Hydrogen peroxide is also a corrosive compound. These ingredients will damage your steam cleaner.
Other common floor cleaning solutions I do not recommend you put in your steam mop include the following:
- Swiffer Wetjet Hardwood Floor Mopping and Cleaning Solution
- Quick Shine Multi-Surface Floor Finish and Polish
- Better Life Naturally Dirt-Destroying Floor Cleaner
- Fabuloso 4307 Long Lasting Fragrance